At the Special Board Meeting on February 1st, 2023, the Hinckley-Big Rock Board of Education approved an agreement with School Exec Connect in a 5-1 vote. School Exec Connect is a search and consulting firm that provides customized services to boards of education and will assist in finding the next Superintendent for HBR CUSD #429.
The Board recognizes that using a firm incurs a cost; while we are hesitant to spend the District’s money, we also acknowledge the need to move quickly and purposefully in this search and believe that working in partnership with School Exec Connect will best position us to that end. Some of the ways that School Exec Connect will help assist in this search include, but are not limited to the following:
- Providing experienced search consultant(s)
- Utilizing a well-planned, aggressive, and appropriate timeline
- Interviewing staff and community members, using a needs-based assessment, to identify the desired characteristics of the next Superintendent
- Helping recruit quality candidates who are aligned with our needs through their connections and network
- Assisting the Board in screening applicants and conducting background searches.
- Interviewing Board members to understand the qualities, skills, and experiences they seek in a new superintendent.
- Overseeing all management details of the search process.
- Providing an objective voice by following the same process for both internal and external candidates.
- Facilitating all communication with the Board and committee members throughout the search.
- Providing mentoring for the first 6 months for the new Superintendent.
While we believe these are invaluable assets that make this financial investment worthwhile, we fully recognize our responsibility and the vital part that we play in the search. Our role includes, but is not limited to, the following:
- Overseeing the overall search process as well as continual communication throughout the process with all stakeholders including staff, community, parents, and students.
- Vetting the highly qualified candidates (typically five to seven) who are presented to the Board and deciding which to interview.
- Forming an Interview Committee(s) comprised of staff, parents, and community members to interview the semifinalists in a structured process with each member submitting individual feedback.
- Ensuring the search process and the final candidate’s character and skill sets align with the culture, passion, and ethos of the HBR community.
- Negotiating the contract and salary parameters with the final candidate.
- Introducing and transitioning the final candidate to the staff, students, parents, and community.
While we recognize there are many other steps and aspects to this search, we will do our best to keep you informed and engaged along the way. We view the hiring of the Superintendent as our number one Board priority. We look forward to partnering with the HBR staff and community to continue to enhance the excellence that we hold ourselves to and thank you for the vital part that each of you play in this endeavor.