July 17, 2020
Subject: 2020-2021 Learning Plan
Good afternoon HBR Parents and Students,
First off, I want to thank each of the 291 families that responded to our survey last week. The information you provided, along with information that we received from 96 staff members, helped inform our plan.
We have been hard at work focusing on three guiding principles while creating our 2020-2021 Learning Plan:
- Student, staff, and community safety
- Social-emotional health of students and staff
- Academic growth and achievement
The 2020-2021 Learning Plan can be found by visiting https://5il.co/idyq while a condensed version containing major overarching information can be found by visiting https://5il.co/idyr. We ask that you read and review both documents. We also ask that you read and review the Illinois State Board of Education’s Starting the 2020-21 School Year: Part 3 - Transition Joint Guidance as our 2020-201 Learning Plan adheres to ISBE’s joint guidance with the Illinois Department of Public Health contained in that document.
I want to point out two things:
- Our first day of student attendance will be on Wednesday, 8.19.2020, not Monday, 8.17.2020, as originally planned. The State of Illinois has allotted 5 additional planning days in the 2020-2021 school year to plan for the implementation of our 2020-2021 Learning Plan. We will be utilizing 2 of those days on Monday and Tuesday, August 17th and 18th, to ensure we are ready to go with our 2020-2021 Learning Plan. The use of the 3 remaining planning days will be communicated at a later day.
- Be on the lookout for a follow up parent survey which will be sent out next Tuesday, 7.21.2020. This survey will be open through Sunday, 7.26.2020. In this survey, we are gathering information about enrollment, session preference for daily attendance based on need, medical considerations, internet access, transportation use, and meal service participation. The next steps in our planning process are highly dependent on these survey responses. We thank you in advance for this additional information as we prepare for our first day of attendance with our students on Wednesday, August 19th.
After reading and reviewing our plan, if you have any questions about our plan, you are encouraged to start by contacting the appropriate personnel as described below:
Questions related to schools
Hinckley-Big Rock Elementary School - Julie Melnyk - firstname.lastname@example.org or (815) 286-3400
Hinckley-Big Rock Middle School - Jeff Strouss - email@example.com or (630) 556-4180
Hinckley-Big Rock High School - Jay Brickman - firstname.lastname@example.org or (815) 286-7501
Questions related to student services district-wide
Student Services Department - Jessica Sonntag - email@example.com or (815) 286-7578
Questions related to our overall plan and requirements as set forth by the Illinois State Board of Education and the Illinois Department of Public Health
Superintendent - Travis McGuire - firstname.lastname@example.org or (815) 286-7578
Travis L. McGuire